Hot Reads

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Real Love. . .Why I write

This past weekend, I was a part of my sister's vow renewal ceremony. She and my brother in law have been married for 25 years.

She was 19 when she said I do for the first time. And you know people say when folks get married that young they are bound to divorce. Thank goodness my sister is not a statistic.

What she is —is my relationship role model.

I'm not going to put all of her business out there, because she would kill me. But I've watched this couple go through ups and downs, raise two beautiful kids, beat the odds and still love each other.

Sounds like a romance novel, huh?

Watching her and my brother in law recommit to one another was beautiful and it got me thinking about the romance genre haters.

Oh, these books are so unrealistic, they say. Or call them bodice rippers, which is a term I hate more than pork. Then you see a real life love story play out in front of you.

After the ceremony was over, my niece said something that made my heart quake. When she was in high school, she was one of a few kids who lived with her mom and dad. A sobering fact.

Now, I tell people all the time that my sister introduced me to African American romance novels. I'm not saying that because she's an avid romance reader is why she is happily married, but seems like this is a life imitating art situation.

Marinate on that, haters.

Congratulations to my sister and her husband for 25 years of marriage.


3 comments:

  1. This is a really beautiful post. Thank you for sharing it, Cheris. Congrats to your sister and brother-in-law. May they have many more happy years together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really beautiful post. Thank you for sharing it, Cheris. Congrats to your sister and brother-in-law. May they have many more happy years together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. Dease! I married Mr. Alexander at the tender age of 20, and we recently celebrated 12 years of marriage. Black love is a real thing, that really happens, and our books celebrate that!

    ReplyDelete