Hot Reads

Friday, November 16, 2012

Time is of the Essence

People think since I’m a full-time writer I have all the time in the world. You’d be amazed. Between appointments, kids, a mother, a husband, and two spoiled dogs, I have to scramble to find time to write.
I’ve read numerous books on time management. In fact, as soon as I got married, I decided I was going to change my schedule and get up with him in the morning and start my day. That way by the time he came home in the evening I would have put in eight hours and be ready to spend the evening together. Well, that shit wasn’t working for me. A writer’s mind just doesn’t work that way. The mind has a mind of its own. Seriously, I can’t just sit down at my desk and say, “Okay, let’s write.” It does what it wants when it wants, and at the weirdest times. Most times I’m writing in line at the grocery store, I’m writing while driving the car. Hell, I’m even writing my next sex scene while I’m making love (which has generated some delicious reading material). One thing I can never seem to do is turn the creative machine on and off at will.
It’s the nature of the beast. Writers need to be inspired to write and sometimes that inspiration doesn’t come between 8-5. My husband doesn’t always seem to understand why he has to be second. So every few days, around five, I’ll turn off the computer long enough to make him dinner, ask him about his day, give him some hugs and kisses, and discover creative ways to put him to sleep (hee-hee). All that just so I can get back to my characters. To me it’s like a soap opera. I want to know what’s going to happen! I hate having to stop and start every time I’m interrupted. For once I want to finish my scene.
Yeah right.
The chances of me finishing a complete book without one interruption… that ain’t happening, but it is an interesting thought.
Hmmm. I wonder if the day will ever come that when the world around us has becomes so overwhelming we can simply pick up the remote control and hit PAUSE.
Just long enough for me to get my book finished.

Hee-Hee.

 

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You are very welcome. Now that I know about it, I will spread the world!

      Delete
  2. I think it'd be great if we had a remote for life.
    You could hit pause like you said or maybe even rewind or even delete...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chynarey I would be deleting all the time! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tasha and Chynarey, please email me with your book wish at angie@angiedaniels.com or leave me a message on FB. Thanks for your comments

    ReplyDelete