Hot Reads

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Supporting the Dream.

Believe me, this is not the topic I intended to blog about. I have a very uplifting, inspiration blog title "Reaching Your Full Potential" with video and everything. See I'm into reinventing myself mode and wanted to begin with overcoming my "shyness with the public." So I am doing a series of self-help video's and thought I would share them with you. HOWEVER.......events of the last few days hit my spirit and I had to speak out. If the ladies of HOT MAMA's do not put me out the group after this blog, I'll post it next time. 

In 2011 I wrote a blog titled African-Americas supporting African-American authors. I feel the need to bring this topic to the forefront again.This touch my heart in many ways for I believe we have the power to do anything we want to do. Even prove to the powers to be, who finance and produce our entertainment, to take our community seriously. We have authors, with a HUGE RANGE  of material, from romance, Sci-fy, paranormal, erotic, suspense, mysteries, thrillers and all points in between. Yet, whenever we see a book turned into a film, such as 50 Shades of Grey and The Help, we as African-Americans gripe, because it's not one of our books. We use a lot of energy asking, why? Why? Why? The answer is simple. The books in question have the numbers. It's about the PRESIDENTS, guys. If they see the number of book sales for our books as they do for the books mentioned above they would finance movie deals for us too. I just looked at Kickstarter, a program to assist with funding of movies or television shows. A movie titled Reap What You Sow, is listed. A little over $200 has been pledged towards the  goal of $3,000. Now, I can tell you from experience, that the amount they are seeking is nothing compared to what it takes to complete a production. However, there are less than 10 contributors. What was written a few years ago still holds true. We have the power to support each other and make a difference, but for some reason, unknown to me, we don't. I don't understand. I really do not understand. 

Written in 2011 still true in 2014
Today I want to talk about African-Americans supporting African-American authors. The movie The Help will be released soon. A lot of us got a little up in arms because this book by a Caucasian author about African-Americans was picked up for a movie. The book sold millions because it was supported, not just by Caucasian readers, but by a lot of us too. Here’s the thing, African-American authors produce wonderful stories that we know should be told on the big screen. But putting a book to film cost $. The film industry is no different from any other business. The bottom line is ‘the bottom line’. If you can’t show numbers in the book stores (online included) then how do you expect to show numbers in the movie theater? Its simple economics—demand and supply. James Patterson or Nora Roberts will have a book release and thousands will purchase that book. There is a demand; therefore, the supply is met.

If we want to see more our favorite African-American author placed on a demand list we truly need to step up our game. Many of us will go into a book store to purchase that James Patterson or Nora Roberts novel, but will borrow the African-American author from a friend. If you enjoyed that novel, why not purchased the next release by that author? Let’s face it, we don’t’ support each other the way other communities do. Yet, we complain when we see others succeed at what we fail to do. If you want to see your favorite African American author’s story about African Americans on the big screen, support them in the bookstores. Let the money people in HOLLYWOOD or wherever know what your demand is…Let’s stop complaining about who got what. Turn that negative energy into a win-win for you and the authors you love. SUPPY AND DEMAND people! I’m just saying.

To Keep Eboni from shooting me, here's a sneak peek into the HOT MAMA Luncheon in Raleigh/Durham, NC on Saturday September 13, 2014 


Until the next time,
Iris 


1 comment:

  1. This a great and very relevant blog! We see many rise in this industry and wonder, "why not me?" We have to build up one another and stop worrying about being left behind in the process. Once we get on one accord, we all grow and win.

    ReplyDelete