Hot Reads

Friday, September 7, 2012

A Day in the Life

Denise Jeffries inspired me to describe my day, but not just any day. I want to talk about my writing day.

Just like Denise and, I'm sure, a whole host of other authors, I have a day job, a regular 9 to 5, or rather 6 to 5. When I get home from work, I'm back on the computer but mainly doing promotions. I answer e-mails. Sometimes I plot out my next book. Rarely to I write on my current WIP (work in progress).

"So when do you write, Bridget?"

How did I know you would ask that? I do a lot of my writing on the weekends. I drag my laptop onto my lap (laptop tray underneath, of course) and I sit in bed and I write. The pros of writing in bed is that I'm comfortable. I have what I need all around me. I get inspired easier in bed. The con, a rather big con, is that when I get sleepy, and let's face it. Who wouldn't writing in bed? I tend to take a lot of naps. Just push my laptop to the side and get snuggly under my blankets.

So after my nap(s) -- don't judge me -- I get down to writing. I have my notes next to me. For novels, I do a chapter-by-chapter basic outline. I write key points I want to see happen in a story.

Before that, I do a full character outline. Even if I don't use it, I write out the characters' full names. I write down where they live. What they look like. If I'm inspired by a celebrity, I write down that celebrity's name. Then I write down the charcters' internal and external conflicts. Those are what propel my stories. If you ever hear an author say that they have writer's block, the problem is that the conflict(s) is/are not strong enough to push the story along. Yeah, it hurt me when someone told that to me. But I realized it was the truth.

Anyway, so I write all day and sometimes all night into the early morning. I write until I get to a good spot or when my wrists hurt. Whichever comes first. I keep that up until I finally writh "The End." After that, I push the story aside for a few days, maybe even a week or so, then I come back to it and reread it again to edit it.

Once I submit the story, it's off on to the next one. I know of other authors who are able to write more than one story at the same time. I'm not one of those people. I can't mix all of those voices in my head. Call me simple. That's just how I roll.

Speaking of rolling, I have to go now. The books won't write themselves.

Stay sexy,
BridgeT http://www.BridgetMidway.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment