Hot Reads

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Writers, Wine and Word Counts!

What to do, what to do, when the three W's pounce upon you...

The three W's...what are they?

Writers, Wine and Word Counts...

As an author, I find that writing comes fairly natural, but a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon is nice to have upon the desk. When the task of a word count dangles over my head like fairy dust, it's good to have motivation (and one heck of an outline) to guide the thoughts.

Even if you're not sure what your topic will be, brainstorm. Let the thoughts flow and allow your mind to do a circuit overload upon things that have been brewing. Then, take a sip of wine. Ahh...how relaxing!

Some people are under the belief that all writers work in "caves" and hide out with nothing but solitude. Not this writer. I work around televisions, conversations, activity and the like. When I need to draw out something sensual, music is my assistant. I've come to find that the busier I am, the more productive I become.

It's okay to take a night off! Sometimes, you're just not feeling it and why fake the funk? That's when you make no progress in the task. This is the perfect time to read something outside of your arena. Let your mind go and you'll find that the effort was not in vain.

 
Always remember, write what you feel and abandon the numbers. The more authentic you are to your story, the happier your readers will be. Don't worry, the numbers will take care of themselves.

Until we meet again...it's back to writing "Connections" for me!


Loretta R. Walls aka Embue
www.nucherte.net

No comments:

Post a Comment