Hot Reads

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Cutting Through the Holiday Madness




Hey, Y'all,
Well, it's that time of year again. The time when the malls are filled with shoppers, some of whom will elbow you in the mouth to grab that last Barbie doll. Traffic is backed up, parking lots are full to capacity, your phone is ringing off the hook with charity solicitations and telemarketers. It's enough to drive even a genteel Southern lady like myself to reach for the bottle. (Relax, it's just moscato.)

The point is, we sometimes need to escape the craziness forced upon us by an extremely consumerist society. Remember the true reason for the season- whatever that is for you. For most of us, this time of year is about celebrating 2012 and looking forward to 2013 with the people we love most, our family and friends. It's my hope that we all experience the glow of love radiating from those who mean the most to us.

Aside from the joy found in good company, sometimes we need to have some "me time." As women we often struggle with that concept- we give and give until we ourselves are empty vessels, exhausted, frustrated, and ready to smack somebody. Don't do it. While violence may be temporarily satisfying, it often leads to criminal charges. Stop, take a breath, and step back from the situation. Take the time to fill your vessel, by spending time doing the things you love. Maybe it's a spa day. Maybe you want to sleep in. Maybe you want to fill a target full of holes at the shooting range. Whatever your pleasure,this year, don't forget to take time for yourself. My husband will be incredibly gratified to know I've passed the advice he's (repeatedly) given me  to the Internets at large.

If reading's your thing, good news! Everyone who follows the Hot MAMA Land blog today will receive one entry into a drawing for a free autographed copy of my historical romance, Kissing the Captain, along with a Kianna Alexander pen, fancy bookmark, and a few other awesome swag goodies. Want more entries? Check it out- you can get one more by leaving a comment about how you cut through the holiday madness, and yet another entry if you share the blog via Twitter with the hashtag (#hotmamaland!). You can get a maximum of three entries!

From my house to yours, Happy Holidays!

-Kianna

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kianna,

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on holiday madness. I typically take time before and after Christmas just for ME! Since I usually cook and bake for family and friends I have a full spa day (mani, pedi, facial, massage) and then a full day of reading a couple of days before the house if full of family visiting. If I am not traveling after Dec 26 I make sure I have at least 2 days to relax and unwind (no shopping and no phone calls).

    I have no clue why there is so much madness around this time of the year, but my goal is to only surround myself with the people that I love and value and leave the foolish folks to drive each other crazy.

    Hmmm, my little sister and I were just saying we were overdue for a day at the gun range, so maybe we'll go for a ladies night at our favorite spot to relieve some holiday tension without real targets in sight...LOL!

    Merry, Merry! Shantal

    ReplyDelete