Hot Reads

Friday, December 7, 2012

Paying It Forward...Quietly

With this being the month of December, I thought the following experience was most fitting to share. Some of you may have already read about this on my Facebook and Twitter posts from a few weeks back but this is a story that I don't mind sharing again and again.

So every Saturday during football season, we take our son to Chili's after the game- win or lose. Even though my guy's been playing for 6 years, I'm still not all that knowledgeable of the rules of the game. I am however, knowledgeable in drama and oh boy every Saturday you can be sure there are some interesting anecdotes that my son and his dad (who's also a team coach) have to share. These tales make for very interesting dinner conversations, I assure you.

This year my son's team had a very successful season. Unfortunately, they lost the final game and it stung a lot because the other team; from all that I've heard, did a lot of shady things during the season. It stung for my son's team to lose to folks like this. So...as we often do, we talked about the game and gave our son the usual parent pep talk. The talk that week had all the 'keep your head up' undertones but it was also a pat on the back for him to keep up the good work. As one of the smallest guys on the team, he's also one of the toughest and hardest workers. The head coach never fails to mention that when he speaks to the team.

Now we aren't sure if this had anything to do with what happened that day, but I just wanted to take time to set the stage. After the entrees, our waitress asked if we wanted dessert. We told her no and she informed us that our meal had been paid in full by the couple in the booth ahead of us. She (our waitress) also informed us that it wasn't necessary for us to leave a tip as the couple had been far too generous in that regard as well. After I found my voice again, I asked where they were so we could thank them.

The server explained that they didn't want us to know who they were- this was just something they wanted to do. They weren't looking for gratitude or admiration, they simply wanted to do a good thing. We were stunned. This had never happened to us. Ever. Had the couple overheard our comments to our son and thought we were worthy parents? What really stunned us was how quietly these...angels went about their actions without making a fuss or seeking notice. I think that's what really blew me away.

We always hear about folks who make grand, sweeping gestures of kindness. For me, it's those who quietly act, that really deserve so much of our admiration.

For the angels who paid our Chili's bill several weeks ago, Thank You and God Bless You Both. And for those of you who carry out similar selfless and anonymous acts of generosity, You Are Angels Among Men. May God Bless and Keep You All.

So now, I'm in the paying it forward mode and I hope it's a mode that never shuts off for me. In times like these, such acts of good will are not only right, they are necessary. Please feel free to chime in with your own experiences of when you were in the presence of angels or just comment on this post. Doing so, will get you automatically entered in the drawing for either a $20 Amazon Gift Card or  an autographed copy of my upcoming Kimani release- Provocative Territory for you and a friend. Follow the Hot M.A.M.A.s blog and enter to win autographed copies of the new book for you and three friends.

Take care and Best Wishes For A Joyous Holiday Season!
Love,
AlTonya










2 comments:

  1. A former co-worker had her Starbuck's order paid for by the person in the car in front of her. I hear about these types of incidents a lot and I hope one day I am afforded the opportunity to be someone's angel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience AlTonya. Random Acts of Kindness are great and serve as a blessing to the giver and receiver. Considering how much madness there is occuring all over the world it's great to know that people are still kind. I've worked with a couple of organizations in Chicago that have been trying to spark "Pay it Forward" or "RAOK" movemements throughout the year. It is so heartwarming to see it catch on and hopefully the momentum builds. Sometimes things just really work out in the best possible way. I have been fortunate to pay for lunch or coffee for unsuspecting people and always ask to be anonymous. It seems that it has always blessed someone who truly needed it.

    Last week my idea was to buy lunch at one of my favorite places for "the next two customers who were wearing an article of clothing that was green." Turns out I purchased lunch for a dear friend that frequents the same place! She was going on about it the same night and it was extraspecial for her because her car had died that morning and she was tired from working 12 hour days for weeks and the more she talked the more I realized it may have been me! I went back the next day for a smoothie and the cashier said "OMG, your friend with the curly short hair that meets you here for breakfast was one of the people wearing green that received a free lunch from you." She said she was dying to tell her because she's waited on us together before and thought that was so cool and such a coincidence. I'm so glad that I begged her not to point me out because it takes away the joy for me. I'm not doing it to be thanked. It was great to do this for someone who always gives me encouragement and support. I've been blessed in so many ways and it's not often that I am able to do this so I'm overjoyed when I can.

    Thanks again for sharing Al! I'm even more inspired.

    ReplyDelete