Hot Reads

Friday, October 11, 2013

Now what?

So you all know what I've been going through these last few months. I've been writing and editing and agonizing over my upcoming contemporary interracial BDSM erotic romance novel Licorice Whips, which is due to come out in ebook and print through Phaze Books on Tuesday, November 12th. So as soon as I exhaled, I had to hold my breath again. My writing career doesn't end with one book. I need to have a whole collection. I need to keep writing.

I don't know about any other authors out there, once you're done with a book, the characters linger a little. I find myself writing my next book and catching myself almost using the other characters' names from the previous book I was working on. In my head, they're telling me to come back and play. They're not done with me. My business side says, "Stick a fork in it and move on to the next dish." But all of your books are your babies. It's not so easy to let go. You just have to.

The best advice I have given to other up-and-coming authors is to keep writing. Once you finish your very first manuscript, don't take so much time celebrating. Get back to work and keep writing. You want to build up your backlist so that when you are published, your editor or agent will ask, "What else do you have?" Not only will it make you come off as prolific, but keeping your name out there will garner you lots of readers.

So now mama has to break the ties and keep it moving. I'm working on another contemporary interracial BDSM erotic romance right now, although another story is calling for me, too. Kids. What can you do with them?

Stay sexy,

BridgeT
www.BridgetMidway.com

No comments:

Post a Comment