Hot Reads

Friday, August 31, 2012

A day in the life?

Okay, let’s break this down a bit. Sixty seconds in a minute. Sixty minutes in an hour. 24 hours in a day. 7 days in a week and a whopping 365 days in a year. So what does a writer do on a daily basis? Well, when I am not writing, thinking about writing or dreaming about writing I am a registered nurse and I work as case manager in a hospital. I’ve been a registered nurse for 27 years. Wow, what a long time to do that, however, I asked a fellow peer today how long she’d been in nursing and she told me 42 years. Yikes! Now that’s a lot of nursing. The funny thing though, writing is soooo much more exciting. Sure in my nursing career I’ve saved a life or two, seen some really crazy and bizaar stuff, but that's just not as fun as killing off people and I do that with flair and pizzazz. I’m known as the person who said on a local television show, that I was a nurse at a local hospital and a few minutes later stated I killed people for fun. Hehehe. What a blast that must have been when people heard it. I’m just glad I didn’t mention what hospital. But I digress. I try to write something each and every day. It doesn’t always work like that because as we all know, sometimes, life gets in the way. I wake up at 5am during the week. Get ready for work which only takes me roughly 45 minutes depending on what I’m doing with the hair. Laugh if you must but it’s true. I know the women out there understand. This gives me over an hour to eat a little something and get a bit of writing in. And writing is where my day begins and where it ends. Even as I’m driving to work I’m thinking about the book in progress. I find myself sitting in the hospital parking lot jotting down notes on something that came to me while driving. It could be a word, a character’s name, a paragraph or a scene. I’ve been late on more than one occasion because my muse was alive and awake and wouldn’t let me get out of the car. And yes on a day or two I have had to pull over to the side of the road to write something down. What’s a writer to do? These past few days I’ve been finalizing the edits to Yesterday’s Promises and its going great. I believe everyone is going to love this book. It’s the sequel to Sleeping Beauty. We are finding out that yesterday’s promises may have been lies. How’s that for a teaser? Thinking about another day in the life, I remember when the conception of these books came to light. I was sitting in the Atlanta airport waiting for a connecting flight and the prologue to Sleeping Beauty popped into my head. All I was doing was sitting there minding my own business watching the people. I do that a lot too. It’s another one of my favorite past times. Sleeping Beauty was born and was supposed to be a one book deal. However, as I approached the end of that book, the characters said they weren’t finished. So what’s a writer to do? I couldn’t possibly go against the characters now could I? Well anyway, as I was saying, I start my day writing. I find myself jotting notes on sticky pads and tucking them in my pocket at work. And yes, when I get home it’s my goal to write some more, about 3 hours or so. The very last thing I do each and every night before I close my eyes… I read someone else's book and most likely it's a romance. Go figure. I bet you weren’t expecting that. Sometimes it’s only a page or two, sometimes it’s a chapter and if the book is really great, I’m gonna be late for work the next day. So if you break it down, I write or do some type of associated writing process at least 4 hours a day. That’s 28 hours a week and 1460 hours per year. Oh my goodness, I need to kick it up a notch. So hold on to your seats, because coming your way very soon: Yesterday's Promises (a romantic suspense with paranormal elements). Lies. Redemption. Love. Until history is brought to the light, the days will remain in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment