Hot Reads

Friday, August 24, 2012

Overwhelmed By Life! How Does One Deal?

I had it all figured out; what I wanted to write and share with the land of HOT M.A.M.A.'s...

And then LIFE got in the way.

Yes, LIFE, that thing which requires 99.9% of your time and demands prioritizing.

Let's just say that I lost the battle this week, but not the war!

Allow me to embellish...

My brain was reeling while by body was attending cheerleading practice (thanks to my lovely daughter) and in the midst of trying to finish "Fifty Shades of Grey: Freed" there was a nagging feeling going inside. The kind of feeling that makes you wonder if you're doing enough as a writer to gain new readers.

For those that know me, I'm rather crafty when it comes to promoting. It's loads of fun and for some reason, the knack is there. I don't fight with it anymore, Iris Bolling won't allow me to. Thanks, Iris! :)

Anyhow, I decided to post a status on my Facebook page inviting anyone to free promotions for forthcoming releases via my influence. A few authors responded and even one today, but I was surprised at the lack of participation. I left this opportunity open for almost a week, and seriously considered extending the invitation.

Well, far be it from me to twist another's arm to promote their work. Either you want new readers or you don't.

As authors, we desire insight on our works but how are you going about acquiring it? I don't know of very many that are disciplined to seek out readers. If anything, the author has a better chance due to word-of-mouth and being recommended.

How do you feel about that? Are we paying it forward or just looking out for ourselves in this industry?

So there you have it, my perspectives keyed out very honestly but quickly thanks to a text message.

As my step-daughters say, "I've got to get my life together!"

I'm going to take heed to that and re-prioritize my time.

Until next time,

Loretta R. Walls



2 comments:

  1. Like you said Lo, life happens. There is not stopping it. To think about it, do we want to stop it. Each day brings a new adventure that at some point we will write about. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And indeed it does, Iris! I tell you, soon as I think I've got things in order, a typhoon of some sort blows it all to pieces. That's fine, I'm almost convinced it's meant to happen, only to get rid of things we truly don't need. Excess baggage so to speak. More information for us to write on, most definitely!

      Delete